Halfway through dinner last Friday, SooJ, Jo and I suddenly decided to go for a movie.
Of course it was quite last minute, but through the magic of the internet and a helpful friend who happened to be at home (Thanks Sook Yee!) we managed to buy some tickets for Despicable Me (3D) online and quickly zipped over to Midvalley:
We had looking out for this movie since spotting the trailer some time back, and yay! - It turned out to be a really fun watch.
I don't want to give away too much since the movie just started running in the cinemas, but generally the story revolves around Gru (a supervillian trying to steal the moon), Vector (another supervillian), 3 orphan girls and a really adorable horde of yellow bean shaped minions:
Ok, just to manage your expectations, let me caution you:
Please don't expect it to be groundbreakingly different - while it is an amusing watch, it is nowhere close to being as great as The Incredibles.
In fact, the storyline is quite simple, relying a lot on the "cute" factor and a few sly jokes**.
(** Look out for what the Bank of Evil was previously known as! *lol*)
Still, one thing's for sure: It's definitely worth a watch. :)
They have a really cool Official Website where you can make your own minion. :)
- Steve Carell as Gru, the world's #2 supervillain.
- Jason Segel as Vector, the world's #1 supervillain. <--- Annoying! But I guess that's how he's supposed to be.
- Russell Brand as Dr. Nefario, Gru's hearing impaired scientist assistant.
- Julie Andrews as Gru's mother. <--- Haiyo. Such wasted talent - She hardly said anything in this movie!
- Miranda Cosgrove as Margo, the oldest girl of the group of orphans.
- Dana Gaier as Edith, the middle girl.
- Elsie Fisher as Agnes, the youngest girl.
- Pierre Coffin as Tim/ Bob/ Mark/ Phil/ Stuart, five of Gru's minions.
- Chris Renaud as Dave, one of Gru's minions.
- Jemaine Clement as Jerry, one of Gru's minions.
In a happy suburban neighborhood surrounded by white picket fences with flowering rose bushes, sits a black house with a dead lawn. Unbeknownst to the neighbors, hidden beneath this home is a vast secret hideout. Surrounded by a small army of minions, we discover Gru, planning the biggest heist in the history of the world. He is going to steal the moon (Yes, the moon!).... Gru delights in all things wicked... but he has just met his greatest challenge: 3 little girls named Margo, Edith and Agnes who want him to be their dad.
(Note: Synopsis adapted/borrowed from Rotten Tomatoes, which gave this movie a good rating of 80% fresh!)
Here's what some others thought of the movie:
- Film School Rejects
- k0k bL0k
Well, that sums up my 2 cents on the movie, for your consideration. :)
TAGS: Blog, Weblog, Malaysia, KL, Kuala Lumpur, Personal