I like music in general.
(... except a few genres like polka and opera. Respect it, but haven't acquired the taste for it)
Other than the more mainstream stuff like Ballads, Rock, Top 40 stuff, R&B, etc., I also really enjoy House and Trance...
So, when I heard that David Guetta was playing at Zouk Out 2010 last weekend, I just had to go.
(Haters: Yes, maybe you consider him a "sell out" but I think he is awesome because through his collaborations with ppl like the Black Eyed Peas, he has bridged the gap between house/trance and pop/mainstream, making it more accessible to the masses)
I really did not know what I was getting myself into* though, so I thought I should post up a short "survival guide" as a public service - to help first timers/ those as blur as me the next time around.
(* I honestly thought: "Hmmm. Normal partying in Malaysia lasts till about 3am, so at Zouk Out Sg, at the most should be until around 5 or 6am, right?")
(Frak you, rough idiots - You know who you are)...
1) The tickets usually sell out every year.
(2 years in a row anyway... so buy them beforehand, and not try your luck on the day itself)
2) The traffic on the way in and out can be quite bad.
(Things that will make your life easier: Go much earlier and have dinner/hang out near the venue and rent a hotel room to crash at after)
3) It starts at around 8pm and will last until the SUN RISES.
(So: Rest well and have a good meal before you go)
WHAT YOU NEED ON THE NIGHT
(This is very important. The night should be about music and fun but there will always be idiots in the crowd - don't get into an argument/ fight please. Life is too short....)
2) Good friends that you can trust.
(aka. Friends that will not leave you unguarded and asleep/ unconcious in the middle of nowhere - saw many ppl by themselves at random places around the island later)
3) ID (with photo and age), some money and a fully charged mobile phone.
(No ID = cannot get in, no money = cannot buy drinks and no mobile phone = big trouble when you get separated from your friends, which is very likely to happen considering the amount of people there)
4) Comfortable sandals/ flip flops.
(You can also wear shoes, but it's on a beach - you'll probably get sand in it)
5) A dependable bladder.
(While it is important to stay hydrated, the portable toilets get kinda smelly and DISGUSTING after a while)
Q: Did I have fun?
A: Yes :) - Met a lot of nice people and the music was good but it was definitely very tiring.
- Thanks for inviting me, Fai!
- Thanks for organising, Sharin!
- Thanks for the delicious food (awesome Mee Siam and sambal btw), Sharin's mum! :)
- Nice meeting all of you! *waves* (Orlin, Seok Bin, Viggo, RJ, Matt, Nura, Felix and the American dude whose name I can't remember right now - sorry....)
Now believes that Zouk Out should be categorised as a "Marathon" and not a "Party",
TAGS: Blog, Weblog, Malaysia, KL, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Zouk Out 2010, Sentosa Island, Personal